Search This Blog

Sunday, March 4, 2012

Raising Money the Hard Way


Raising money is never easy

Today, I learned what it’s like to try and raise money. Why am I trying to raise money? I’m going to Tuscaloosa Alabama this spring vacation with a few of my classmates and it costs each person $1,100 to participate. Through Habitat for Humanity, we are going to be helping those who suffered the effects of the natural disasters that have been happening there recently by building homes. In an effort to lower this cost, we are trying to fundraise money for the trip. Our first effort to raise money was a jog-a-thon. We asked for people to sponsor us while we ran laps for an hour straight. However, I don’t really like asking people for their money, so I only got two sponsors – my grandpa and my aunt. Some of my friends said that they would sponsor me, but none of them actually did, which is fine. 

So anyway, today we stood outside of Whole Foods with an informational booth explaining our mission. We also passed out flyers with information regarding our trip, earthquake preparedness fliers, and a flyer saying that if you go to California Pizza Kitchen (with the flier) on March 12th, 20% of your purchase will go to the funding of our trip. 

There were lots of people who walked right by us when we tried to talk to them, pretending like we weren’t even there. There were also those who politely said “No, thank you” and walked on… along with those who said it not-so-politely. However, we did get a few people to donate which made us feel accomplished. And for those who didn’t have the time or money to donate, we gave them our fliers (if they didn’t turn them down). 

This experience of trying to represent our cause helped me to understand what it’s like to stand outside a store for a few hours, trying to get people’s attention. Usually if I see people in front of a store, and I’m with my parents, I just walk away because I know my parents don’t like me “talking to strangers”. However, when I’m by myself or with friends, I do make an effort to talk to these people. They’re putting their time and effort into informing the public and asking for donations, so I feel it’s nice to give them my time as well. 

The most entertaining part was to see how people react when someone is trying to talk to them.  

No comments:

Post a Comment